Sunday, February 12, 2012
If you are someone who is thinking about fostering or adopting (locally or internationally) you will have to go through a home study. I want to talk a little about our experience in hopes that it will help someone out there who is reluctant to adopt or foster because of fear of the home study.

I personally walked into the home study very blindly. I did not have anyone to talk to. The best I could do was look up some scattered information on the internet. I was a wreck on our first appointment! The only thing going through my head was, "there is no way we are going to pass this". I mean come on, we're not rich, our home needs some updating/fixing here and there and I make no claims to being a "super mom". While I might have lacked confidence in our finances, home and even how the social worker would view me, there was one thing I knew for sure, I could take care of Makayla! Unfortunately, that's not enough. ;) There are income requirements, home requirements and even personal requirements.

So what are some of those requirements? Well first of all, the government wants to make sure you can afford to take care of the added family member without relying on them. And you must have private health insurance. So the social worker (SW) will look at the size of your family and your income. They will look at your assets but don't panic! You don't need to be asset rich. You can be a renter and still adopt/foster. Just make sure you aren't buried in debt.

As for your home or apartment. It doesn't need to be furnished like the rich and famous. It does need to be livable, clean but don't worry about it being spotless. The SW's are human too. They know dust happens so long as it doesn't look like it's been there for decades. Your home also needs to be free of clutter. Huge clutter messes that is, you know, think hoarders. It must also be big enough to supply room for the addition of a child. If you plan to have the child stay in the basement, I must warn you about what the fire inspector will say...you need a window a fireman can get through.

OK, so what are they looking for in you? This is where I'm going to leave off with two links for you to look up more information about everything.
Ohio adoption/foster information
Reece's Rainbow - income requirements for international adoption

I hope this information helps someone. Our home study was blessed by a beautiful woman aka our social worker who helped us every step of the way and cares for our journey as much as we do. We give thanks and glory to God for putting this woman in our lives!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Susan! Thank you for taking time to write it!

    ReplyDelete

Contact me privately at:

susanandfamily25@gmail.com


We're your average family. No fame or riches. We have our ups and downs. When it rains it pours but we always view the glass as half full. We go where our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ leads. We aren't perfect but we always try to do our best.

Annabelle. The one born in our hearts.

Kandice. Our artistic one.

Amanda. Our helpful one.

Keegan. Our curious one.

Jacob. Our sensitive one.

Followers